Information Creating a Lawsuit in the District Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courts

Citizen
INTRODUCTION

The‌ ‌District‌ ‌Court‌ ‌of‌ ‌Redmont‌ ‌hears‌ ‌all‌ ‌minor‌ ‌civil‌ ‌and‌ ‌criminal‌ ‌disputes‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌first‌ ‌instance.‌ ‌In the Court, you're able to file a lawsuit against another citizen, a company, a government department, or the Government as a whole. Lawsuits consist of both criminal and civil action - and can be anything from an allegation of police misconduct to challenging the terms of a contract. However, before creating a lawsuit, please seek legal advice from a registered lawyer and make sure that the reason you are suing is a law, not a rule. If you file a lawsuit for someone breaking a rule, the case will be dismissed and you may be charged with a Frivolous Court Case.

If you have come to sue a player for murder, this is not the place to do it. You need to report this to the police in government support or in private. You can only sue on the basis of a personal loss.

CREATING A LAWSUIT
  • To create a lawsuit, create a thread just like you would if you were, say, applying for a government job.​
  • The thread must be titled "[username] v. [username] OR [company name] OR Commonwealth of Redmont." Make sure that the prefix on the post is "Lawsuit"​
    • Examples of thread titles are as follows:​
      • Suing another citizen: "Technofied v. xEndeavour"​
        • Suing a company or organization: "xEndeavour v. ElementCo."​
        • Suing the Government: "xEndeavour v. Commonwealth of Redmont"​
Note: If you are suing a Police Officer for their actions, you don't sue the individual, you sue the Department of Justice.

DISTRICT COURT JURISIDICTION

The‌ ‌District‌ ‌Court‌ ‌of‌ ‌Redmont‌ ‌hears‌ ‌all‌ ‌minor‌ ‌civil‌ ‌and‌ ‌criminal‌ ‌disputes‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌first‌ ‌instance.‌ ‌If you are unsure as to whether you should file the case in the District Court, please seek the advice of a lawyer. These are the limitations of the District Court:
  • The‌ ‌District‌ ‌Court‌ can issue ‌judgments‌ ‌on‌ ‌minor‌ ‌criminal‌ ‌prosecutions‌ ‌that‌ ‌result‌ ‌in‌ ‌a maximum of ‌15 ‌minutes‌ jail ‌or‌ ‌$2000‌ in ‌fines.‌ ‌
  • The‌ ‌District‌ ‌Court‌ ‌can issue ‌judgments‌ ‌on‌ ‌minor‌ ‌civil‌ ‌cases‌ ‌whose‌ ‌value‌ ‌does‌ ‌not‌ ‌exceed‌$7500‌.
  • The‌ ‌District‌ ‌Court‌ ‌can‌ ‌hear‌ ‌cases‌ ‌that‌ ‌do‌ ‌not‌ ‌involve‌ ‌a‌ ‌lawyer.‌ ‌
If your case does not abide by such limitations, you may consider seeking litigation in the Federal Court.

CASE PRESENTATION

There are 2 forms of litigation that can be filed here, consisting of criminal and civil action. You can only file for civil action unless you have been authorized by the Attorney General's Office or the Government to prosecute a player.

When you file a case, you are strongly advised to use the formats prescribed below.

IN THE DISTRICT COURT OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF REDMONT
CIVIL ACTION

(your name)
Plaintiff

v.

(who you are suing)
Defendant

COMPLAINT
The Plaintiff complains against the Defendant as follows:

WRITTEN STATEMENT FROM THE PLAINTIFF

I. PARTIES
1. (Name everyone who is a party in this case.)
2. ...

II. FACTS
1. (Explain what happened.)
2. ...
3. ...

III. CLAIMS FOR RELIEF
1. (Why these facts give rise to a claim. Explain which laws were broken if any.)
2. ...

IV. PRAYER FOR RELIEF
The Plaintiff seeks the following from the Defendant:
1. (What you're asking from the court)
2. ...

(Attach evidence and a list of witnesses at the bottom if applicable)

By making this submission, I agree I understand the penalties of lying in court and the fact that I am subject to perjury should I knowingly make a false statement in court.

DATED: This (day) day of (month) (year)
CRIMINAL ACTION

(your name)
Prosecution

v.

(who is being accused)
Defendant

COMPLAINT
The Prosecution alleges criminal actions committed by the Defendant as follows:

PROSECUTING AUTHORITY REPORT
(List any claims from the respective authority)

I. PARTIES
1. (Name everyone who is a party in this case.)
2. ...

II. FACTS
1. (Explain what happened.)
2. ...
3. ...

III. CHARGES
The Prosecution hereby alleges the following charges against the Defendant:
1. (The law(s) the defendant is accused of violating and why)
2. ...

IV. SENTENCING
The Prosecution hereby recommends the following sentence for the Defendant:
1. (The sentencing that you advise the court issues)
2. ...

By making this submission, I agree I understand the penalties of lying in court and the fact that I am subject to perjury should I knowingly make a false statement in court.

In this post, describe the offence in clear detail. Please provide evidence, either via attachment or image link (ie: imgur.com/)

Please provide all evidence at the end of the thread, and make sure to keep the thread in chronological order. For example, don't say "I was only given one fuel. Oh, sorry I forgot to mention that before this I was in spawn."

If you do not have evidence but have a lawyer or witness, please list them in the case description.

Now, you have an official lawsuit!

CASE RESPONSE

When you have been summoned to court to answer a lawsuit alleged against you, you are strongly advised to use the formats prescribed below.

ANSWER TO COMPLAINT

(who is being sued)
Plaintiff

v.

(your name)
Defendant

I. ANSWER TO COMPLAINT
1. (Do you dispute or affirm the complaint by the plaintiff)
2. ...

II. DEFENCES
1. (Present any defences)
2. ...

ANSWER TO COMPLAINT

(who is being sued)
Prosecution

v.

(your name)
Defendant

I. ANSWER TO COMPLAINT
1. (Do you dispute or affirm the complaint by the prosecution)
2. ...

II. DEFENCES
1. (Present any defences)
2. ...

MOTION TO DISMISS

(name)
Plaintiff

v.

(name)
Defendant

MOTION TO DISMISS
Defendant move that the complaint in this case be dismissed, and in support thereof, respectfully alleges:
1. (Reason for why the complaint should be dismissed. Don't come with new facts or the court will deny your motion! Lack of evidence is not a valid reason.)
2. ...

(The words defendant and complaint should be changed in case the motion is to dismiss a counterclaim.)

You should only respond using a motion to dismiss if you believe the case is inaccurate and or frivolous. If you are simply presenting a defence, use the answer to complaint format.

FOR LAWYERS

If you are a lawyer and you have a client who has hired you to represent them in court, there must be evidence provided that the citizen hired you as their lawyer, whether through a picture of an agreement, picture of discord, or picture of the chat.

You are now representing your client in a lawsuit. Hooray!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back