FracturedGhast7

Citizen
FracturedGhast7
FracturedGhast7
A
BILL
To

Make vigilantism illegal

The people of DemocracyCraft, through their elected Representatives in the Congress and the force of law ordained to that Congress by the people through the constitution, do hereby enact the following provisions into law:

1 - Short Title and Enactment
(1) This Act may be cited as the “Vigilantism Illegalization Act”.
(2) This Act shall be enacted immediately upon its signage.
(3) The Act has been co-sponsored by: Rep. RelaxedGV

2 - Reasons
(1) Although not a problem right now, non-law enforcement individuals should not be taking the law into their own hands.
(2) Enforcement of the law should only be carried out by the government.

3 - Definitions
(1) Vigilantism-
a. The act of enforcing the law even though not authorized to, including but not limited to murder; to take the law into one’s own hands.
(2) Vigilante-
a. Someone who practices vigilantism.

4 - Terms
(1) Vigilantism shall hereby be made illegal.

5 - Enforcement
(1) Per offence, there shall be a $100 fine and 10 min jail sentence.

Nay - I don’t really see a problem with citizens enforcing the laws, they don’t have the perms of police officers so doing what they can I don’t believe would hurt.

Veto

This bill has been vetoed for the following reasons:

- As admitted in the act itself, currently, vigilantism isn't a prevalent problem for the citizens of Redmont, so this would be adding to our legal code with restrictions against an action that currently is not affecting anyone.
- I feel this bill doesn't produce specific examples of when vigilantism should not be permissible. It is my impression that currently, the definition of vigilantism within this act is so broad that citizens could be prosecuted for basic acts of self defense against murderers.
- If this bill were re-proposed, I believe specific examples of potential vigilante misconduct should be cited and the bill should be crafted more specifically around those examples.

Back