Supporter
oferinbar
oferinbar
donator1
A
BILL
TO

Amendment of the Electoral Act

The people of Democracy Craft, through their elected Representatives in the Congress and the force of law ordained to that Congress by the people through the constitution, do hereby enact the following provisions into law:

1 - Short Title and Enactment
(1) This Act may be cited as the “Unnecessary Election Prevention Act”.
(2) This Act shall be enacted immediately upon its signage.
(3) This Act was authored by Representative oferinbar.
(4) This Act has been co-sponsored by Eastray_ [Baole444].

2 - Reasons
Prevention of special elections in case there is no need:

In some cases many elections are held in parallel or in the near future, such as local elections, presidential elections and congressional elections.
Some people may get tired of many elections in the same period of time, and this may cause people not to vote. Also, new people on the server may be confused by the situation and not vote at all or vote only in some of the elections, even though they wanted to vote in all of them.

3 - Amendment section 1 of the Electoral Act

Congress may motion to hold a special election for a Congressional vacancy.

To:
Congress will be able to declare special elections only in the event that 3 House members resign or are absent for any other reason, special Senate elections will only be accompanied by special House elections.
In case only 1 representative resigns and no other representative resigns, or is fired, there will be a period of 5 days in which it will be possible to appoint the representative/senator who won the most votes from each party and did not enter the regular election.
In case there is no one to enter, special elections will begin - in case there is someone to enter, but the representative/party of the representative does not want, there will also be permission to start special elections.

nay - can we please stop messing with special elections?

If it's important, why should we just ignore it because you do not feel like messing with it?
We should ignore this bill because it's written incompletely and messes with a system that's been repaired pretty recently. Few reasons:

3 - Amendment section 1 of the Electoral Act
Congress may motion to hold a special election for a Congressional vacancy.

1. Section 1 of the Electoral Act is the name. The piece of the bill you're trying to edit is section 10.

2. The bill does nothing to amend Section 11 of the Electoral Act (Vacant Seats). If your bill is signed into law, Section 10 and Section 11 would contradict each other.

Congress will be able to declare special elections only in the event that 3 House members resign or are absent for any other reason, special Senate elections will only be accompanied by special House elections.

3. There is literally 0 justification for this in your reasons section. Why is the threshold 3? Why do Senate special elections need to happen only when House special elections happen? It seems a little silly to have vacant seats when people are actively willing to represent the people of Redmont.
4. What does "absent for any other reason" mean? This isn't defined anywhere. Layzur took an absence for a few days, would that count as "any other reason?" Why does that uniquely warrant an exception where a special election should be allowed?

In case only 1 representative resigns and no other representative resigns, or is fired, there will be a period of 5 days in which it will be possible to appoint the representative/senator who won the most votes from each party and did not enter the regular election.
5. The first part of this here makes it sound like the "3 House members resigning or absent" rule only counts if they all happen at the same time.
6. representative/senator implies that the candidate who wins must be an incumbent. That phrase should say "candidate"
7. This doesn't say the appointment has to come from the next winning party.
8. This doesn't outline a nomination process. Who makes the nomination?
9. This doesn't outline a confirmation process. What thresholds should this candidate meet?
10. I'm not sure what "did not enter the regular election" means. Does this mean people who didn't run in the general election can be nominated?

In case there is no one to enter, special elections will begin - in case there is someone to enter, but the representative/party of the representative does not want, there will also be permission to start special elections.
11. What happens when one of the representative/party of representative wants to enter but the other doesn't? This bill doesn't address that

Overall, this bill adds a lot of confusion to a process that already works to limit the amount of special elections we have. There are better ways to address a lack of turnout than amending the electoral process every month.

I disagree with the premise of the bill so I’m voting nay, but even if I agreed I think there’s too much to be left up to interpretation here. I’m not sure if there’s a potential language barrier but I’d be more than happy to help you with your bills in the future.

I hope this clarifies why I voted the way I did :)

Last edited:
Of course I did not mean absent for a vacation smh
The reference is to someone who will not return, is not absent for a few days.

As for "did not enter the regular election," it speaks of anyone who ran in the regular election, but received too few votes compared to anyone else, and that is why he did not enter the House of Representatives.

Regarding number 10 - Absolutely not, someone who did not run in the regular election can not enter, only if he has already run in the election and did not enter because he received too few votes. And because of that I wrote "who won the most votes from each party" and did not enter the regular election

Regarding number 11 - if one does not want, it is clear that we will not take it and then of course we will take the one who does want.

This bill is written fine, and if you want to teach me to write bills / help me with that, no problem. Remember this is the first bill I write.

Back