Bill: Rejected LDV Legislature’s Deadline for Vacancies Amendment or “LDV LDV Amendment"

How do you vote?

• Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sen: Aye

• Sen: Nay

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hamhamham420

Citizen
Supporter
Hamhamham420
Hamhamham420
donator1
A
BILL
TO
Amend the Constitution & Electoral Act

The people of Redmont, through their elected Representatives in the Congress and the force of law ordained to that Congress by the people through the constitution, do hereby enact the following provisions into law:

1 - Short Title and Enactment
This Act may be cited as the “LDV Legislature’s Deadline for Vacancies Amendment” or “LDV LDV Amendment”
This Act shall be enacted immediately upon its signage.
This Bill was authored by Mayor LilDigiVert & Rep. Hamhamham420
This Bill was co-sponsored by Sen. Tekkovvs

2 - Official Reasons

I told y’all I was on the come up
Said “I’m quittin’ to go to school after this summer”
Took some time to get out my slumber
7 months later I’m doing the numbers
Reps hustle every day for a bill from me
What I do? Turn around gave them bills to T
And I'm rapping on the bills they was supposed to write
I guess I'm getting high off my own supply
Downtown mixing fabrics tryna find the magic
Started a little blog just to get some traffic
Old folks'll tell you not to play in traffic
A million hits and the web crashes, damn!
South Park had them all laughing
Now all my rappers designing and we all swaggin'
Ignore the critics just to say we did it
This ain't no fashion show, boy we live it

3 - Unofficial Reasons
  1. Special Elections experience lower turnout and usually consist of 1 seat; this makes subsequent nominations unrepresentative of the public’s choice.
  2. Various runners up in previous elections did not pass through Congress in the nomination period, indicating that 1) Mutually agreed upon nominations are a better option and/or 2) More special elections are needed and a more fair metric to decide who should fill vacant seats.
  3. Players who finish in 3rd or 4th tend to have significantly fewer voters in special elections; we should elect someone who finishes in 1st.
  4. This checks back on inactive players being nominated into Congress.

4 – Terms

Add:
11 - Vacant Seats
(1) Where a seat in a chamber becomes vacant, the relevant presiding officer is obligated to do the following:
a. If within 14 days of the last general election, nominate the next winning candidate according to the electoral system used in the election. For the nominee to assume office, they must attain a majority approval in both chambers.
b. Congress must vote on a nomination within four days of the seat becoming vacant. A special election will be automatically triggered where there are no suitable candidates in the most recent election; 4 days has elapsed and the vacancy has not been filled; or a special election has been successfully motioned.

Last edited:
Nay - This was just removed because we were having special elections weekly. There is no need to have an election if you have perfectly fine candidates available from the previous election.

The reasoning argues against special elections as being unrepresentative and refers to general elections as being a better cross-section of society. However, it implements special elections where they otherwise wouldn't be required under the current law.

Last edited:
Back