Information Expression of Interest - Public Defender Director

Courts

Citizen
Court_Banner_Redmont_01 (1).png

The Supreme Court has decided to open up an expression of interest forum for those with extensive legal experience to express interest in the role of Public Defender Director. We would like to emphasize the apolitical role this is and ask that people respect this process by not campaigning, endorsing, or explicitly supporting any individual for such a role.

PUBLIC DEFENDER DIRECTOR INFORMATION

The Public Defender Director is responsible for overseeing the operations of the Public Defender's office, ensuring that legal services are provided to clients in a timely, efficient, and effective manner. The Director provides leadership, management, and supervision to the Public Defender's office and serves as the chief advocate for the organization.

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provide leadership and direction for the Public Defender's office.
• Develop, implement, and manage policies and procedures for the office.
• Ensure the delivery of high-quality legal services to clients in a timely and efficient manner.
• Manage and supervise attorneys, staff, and support personnel within the Public Defender's office.
• Develop and implement training programs for attorneys and staff.
• Represent the Public Defender's office to the courts, the bar, and other organizations.
• Manage the budget for the Public Defender's office.
• Ensure compliance with all ethical and professional standards.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with the judiciary, law enforcement agencies, and other stakeholders.
• Participate in public speaking engagements and media appearances to promote the work of the Public Defender's office.
• Develop and maintain partnerships with community organizations and service providers to support the needs of clients.

The Public Defender Directors are expected to maintain professional integrity and independence, and to perform‌ ‌the‌ ‌duties‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌office‌ ‌fairly,‌ ‌impartially,‌ ‌and‌ ‌diligently.‌

EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FORMAT

Reply to this thread with the following:
  1. What is your username?
  2. How many years of experience do you have practicing criminal law, including trial experience?
  3. What kind of experience do you have in a management or leadership role?
  4. What motivated you to pursue a career as a Public Defender Director?
  5. How would you describe your leadership style, and how do you apply it to managing and supervising a diverse team of attorneys?
  6. What do you see as the biggest challenge facing public defender offices in the current criminal justice system, and how would you address it as a Public Defender Director?
  7. What do you hope to achieve in your first month as Public Defender Director, and how would you measure your success in achieving those goals?

Your expression of interest will then be reviewed by the Supreme Court in due time.

This is not an application.

This expression of interest thread will be open until a suitable individual is appointed. Do not ask about your EOI or attempt to campaign for this position.

1682306638512.png

What is your username?

SumoMC

How many years of experience do you have practicing criminal law, including trial experience?

3 years and 2 days

What kind of experience do you have in a management or leadership role?

I have served in may diffrent roles such as Attorney General, Solicitor General. Inspector General, Special Advisor to the President on legal affairs, Supreme Court Justice, Federal Court Judge, RBA Chairman. etc

What motivated you to pursue a career as a Public Defender Director?

I want to move into this role as a way to give back to the communtiy and give people who cant afford the high priced lawyers a person who used to be a high priced lawyer, for free. All people deserve fair and adequate representation. I'd argue i am a pretty good lawyer myself.

How would you describe your leadership style, and how do you apply it to managing and supervising a diverse team of attorneys?
I am a very hands on leader when it come to my management style, i think that a present and active leader shows the rest of the workforce that even those at the top have to put in the work. I can apply this to a diverse set of attorney by being present when they need help, offer new ideas and need guidance when and where ever possible. I think this leadership style is best because it can correct mistake while or before they are happening. Now this leadership style isnt hovering or micro managing, it is key to give them the space they need to make the hard decisions and grow as lawyers as well.

What do you see as the biggest challenge facing public defender offices in the current criminal justice system, and how would you address it as a Public Defender Director?

This is an excellent question. The current system sees way to many people getting railroaded by the AG's office and big name lawyers because they can. This drains the pockets of the people and even drives them away. It is my goal to ensure all of them have an equal and fair chance at getting the best result possible, just because you did it doesn't make you guilty.

What do you hope to achieve in your first month as Public Defender Director, and how would you measure your success in achieving those goals?

I want to first start off by evaluating the office and seeing where we are with PD's, i want to make sure we are hiring PD's that want to be there not just for a paycheck, but to help people. I will ensure that all our current cases have competent lawyers actively working on them, give guidance where needed and ensure that they are being worked on with the due diligence they deserve.

Colonel_Kai

2. How many years of experience do you have practicing criminal law, including trial experience?
    A little more than a year on and off.

On redmont, it is limited. However, you can look at my other experience in affiliated and non-affiliated servers from this link. I will not go into the full extent at the risk that this may not count towards my application.

Seeing the fact that the PD program as of now is a huge bottleneck in the judicial system of Redmont. As my signature and about me states, I am motivated by interesting work. Fixing such a system would be one.

5. How would you describe your leadership style, and how do you apply it to managing and supervising a diverse team of attorneys?
    I would describe my leadership as Communicative, Efficient and Solution-Oriented. I believe a lot of problems are caused in today's world from the over-abstraction of leadership practices. Sometimes, a leader just needs to get down and talk to those working under his leadership, and find the problems at their root causes. I believe an actual cooperative behaviour is the only way to ensure efficiency in the workplace, not abstract rules imposed by those who only know how to lead from abstract textbooks.

6. What do you see as the biggest challenge facing public defender offices in the current criminal justice system, and how would you address it as a Public Defender Director?
    From a preliminary look, it seems to be a lack of interest in membership. The programme seems to be vacant in all of its positions, and the reason for that must be looked into and rectified as soon as possible.

7. What do you hope to achieve in your first month as Public Defender Director, and how would you measure your success in achieving those goals?
    I hope to at least produce a public report on the current state of the programme, and the reasons behind it, and submit it to the courts. The measure is self explanatory.

1) AlexanderLove

2) 5 years

3) I led top law firms for a long time and was AG on two servers for a combined total of two years.

4) I’m bored, feel like I could do the PD office some good; it sees high turnover and otherwise is not up to its full potential. I can train new lawyers.

5) Hard to say, but I am a tried and trusted legal leader and mentor. I’m firm yet supportive, not tolerating mistakes but also teaching people how to fix them respectfully.

6) Turnover, I’d address it by giving support and mentorship to new lawyers so they feel encouraged to stay and learn.

7) I want to hire 1-2 solid PDs and bring dignity back to this office. No more shitty non-defenses, PDs will try and they will do well.

Back