Bill: Rejected Defund the Legislature Act

How do you vote?


  • Total voters
    13
  • This poll will close: .

HatManMC

Citizen
Speaker of the House
Representative
Oakridge Resident
Education Department
HatManMC
HatManMC
Speaker
Joined
Jul 1, 2026
Messages
75
CONGRESS OF THE
COMMONWEALTH OF REDMONT
​





A BILL TO
MILDLY FIGHT THE DEFICIT AND MODERATELY MORALLY EMPOWER THE LEGISLATURE BY MASSIVELY CUTTING CONGRESSIONAL WAGES


​


The people of the Commonwealth of Redmont, through their elected Representatives in the Congress and the force of law ordained to that Congress by the people through the constitution, do hereby enact the following provisions into law:

PART I: PRELIMINARIES
1. Short Title and Enactment

(1) This Act may be cited as the "Defund the Legislature Act" or "DtLA".
(2) This Act shall be enacted immediately upon its signage.
(3) This Act has been authored by Speaker HatManMC.
(4) This Act has been cosponsored by Deputy Speaker lovepurplepoodle and Representative EmeraldGuuy.
(5) This Act amends the following Acts:
(a) Redmont Economic Standards Act

2. Reasons and Intent
(1) In such a crippling debt as our current nation's, it's hypocritical of us as a legislature to be paying ourselves exorbitant amounts of wealth for serving the government and the people.
(2) It is the imperative of the legislature to do what is right not for monetary gain but for their citizens' wellbeing.
(3) Therefore, both in order to assist in our nation's deficit and to reduce the idea of making decisions purely for profit off of reelection, it is the mandate of the legislature to reduce our own spending.


PART II: AMENDMENTS
3. Redmont Economic Standards Act
(1) The following amendments shall be made to the Redmont Economic Standards Act:


LevelSalaryCharacteristicsOccupations
0CommissionFully commission based roles, pay tied entirely to outcomes. Typically volunteer or special roles. May be issued alongside a retainer wage level.
1$90Leaders of Government Branches. High responsibility, management and governance. Significant on and off server work.President
Chief Justice
President of the Senate
Speaker of the House of Representatives
2$80Deputy leaders and Department heads. Major responsibility, management and governance, considerable off server work.Vice President
Department Secretaries
Justices
Deputy Department Secretaries
Deputy President of the Senate
Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives

Federal Reserve Board Governor
3$70Members of peak bodies within government branches. High responsibility, active management and governance, some off server work.Senators
Representatives

Judges
Chief of Staff
4$60Middle management of departments. Large responsibility, some management.Magistrates
Press Advisor
Executive Advisor
Federal Reserve Board Member
5$50Senior staff with specialised duties. Moderate responsibility, occasional management, elevated skill required.Court Staff
Congressional Staff
BAR Chairperson
6$40Standard government employees. Some responsibility, no management.BAR Councillors
7$30Entry level employees. Minimal responsibility, routine tasks, no management or governance. Additionally, Presiding Officers of the Legislature.President of the Senate
Speaker of the House
8$27.50Deputy Presiding Officers of the Legislature, assisting the Presiding Officers in their work.Deputy President of the Senate
Deputy Speaker of the House
89$25Support roles or trainees. Basic tasks, primarily learning, no governance and no off server work. Additionally, base level elected officials of the Legislature.Senators
Representatives
 
:nay: - I’ve said it before I’ll say it again, we shouldn’t do tiny little fixes in payment like this. If you are going to amend UBI, do it all at once. Also new money expert said deficit isn’t bad… so why are we even doing this exactly?

I Nay because even though lowering our wages is inherently good. However if it’s for budget, it makes no sense because expert say deficit isn’t bad? so this is just kinda populist?
 
:nay: -It's good PR ig, but we should also reduce all the other payouts, just the legislature is weird. Also, you can just do /pay DCGovernment any day of the week if u so wish.
 
:nay: - I have MULTIPLE reasons to nay this.

I start off with a simple one. Establishing a new salary level is not only removing the uniform we have in this law, but it also messes up the payments design in Executive Order 62/26. $27.50 is just weird, and doesn't match up with anything.

Secondly, I do not believe anyone goes into Congress for the salary. They go in because it's fun and to help people, but the salary is nice, and keeps people motivated. If someone lacks motivation, they can realize that they are getting paid well for the work they do in their job, it keeps them motivated, not being the #1 point ofc.

Finally, the Grey Fontaine crash out. It's a bit selfish, but I just need to get it out:

This Act would slash my payments for being DPoS. Nice idea, it's a PR win. Practically, no. The amount of work I do for Congress if not for my pockets, and it's because I think it will help the server. But I'd like to be paid a reasonable amount for it? This Act doesn't cut BAR Councilors or FRB Members, which are also basically legislative roles for the wellbeing of the server, and they would be paid more than the PRESIDING OFFICERs. Oh, and Clerks/Draftsmen are being payed more than us now too, awesome! I'd be paid more for my work as a Lt at the DHS, which.. i do some things, but not as much. SGTS would be paid more than I am, which I do MUCH more work than they do. If we're worried about "paying ourselves exorbitant amounts of wealth for serving the government and the people," let's audit the departments who pay themselves money for keeping the streets safe. Let's cut all the spending of the government to pay people, they serve everyone, they shouldn't be paid. I'm sorry, and this is a bit selfish, but I do a lot of work, and I'd like to be paid for it.
 
Back
Top