Supporter
hugebob23456
hugebob23456
donator3
A
BILL
To

Abolish Light Mode​

The people of the Commonwealth of Redmont, through their elected Representatives and Senators in the Congress and the force of law ordained to that Congress by the people through the constitution, do hereby enact the following provisions into law:

1 - Short Title and Enactment
(1) This Act may be cited as the “Dark Mode Act”.
(2) This Act shall be enacted immediately upon its signage.
(3) Authored by hugebob23456.
(4) Co-Sponsored by awwwimnicki and Bubba_Tea_.

2 - Reasons
(1) Use of light mode on Discord is disgusting and threatens to permanently destabilize our economy and undermine our elections. We must take action now.

3 - Terms
(1) Use of “Light Mode” in the DemocracyCraft Discord server shall be prohibited by law.
First offense: Warning
Second and subsequent offenses: Public shaming

1638766366438.png

Veto

This bill has been vetoed for the following reasons:

- Unfortunately, punishments against light mode users are unenforceable. There is no feasible way to check if someone is using light mode without their consent. Instead, official legal punishments against light mode users would prevent them from being discovered and tracked by conscious citizens. I worry that formal laws would actually mitigate reputational damage to light mode users by reducing their willingness to reveal themselves. One of the very first things a player reads on this server is our legal code: if a light mode user who's new to the server sees that light mode is against the law, they will simply be less inclined toward using screenshots with light mode, reducing the ability of others to shame them.
- There is no need for government resources of our criminal justice system to officially facilitate public shaming of light mode users when such already occurs thanks to the diligent work of the public. Why must we interrupt the pure, democratic excesses of mob rule by placing the responsibility of public shaming on the government? I believe that the decision to host official public shaming events, which I worry would be necessary under this bill, should remain under executive discretion.

I sympathize with Congress's hatred of light mode. It is a scourge upon humanity and one that must be resolved with efficiency and diligence, but formal legislation is not the way to do it.

Back