Old Motions (RBA Before SMLBA)

Status
Not open for further replies.
October 30, 2022

The RBA Ethics Committee was created in May of 2022, with just a short paragraph describing its purpose and policy. I motion to repeal Aladeen's motion from May 2, 2022, that created the Ethics Committee, and re-establish the Ethics Committee with the following policies:

1. The Ethics Committee shall investigate lawyers who the committee believes may be in violation of the RBA Ethical Doctrine.
2. The Ethics Committee shall have a way for anyone to report potential unethical conduct.
3. The Ethics Committee Chairperson shall be chosen by the RBA Chairperson.
4. All Ethics Committee members must be chosen by the Ethics Committee Chairperson and approved by a majority vote of the RBA council in a Motion (however current members are grandfathered in).
5. Ethics Committee members may only be forcibly removed from their position by a four-fifths vote of the RBA council in a Motion.
6. Upon completion of an investigation, the Ethics Committee Chairperson shall provide the results of the investigation to the RBA Council.
7. If an RBA councilperson is the subject of an investigation, the results of the investigation do not have to be given to that person.
8. If the Ethics Committee Chairperson is the subject of an investigation, the most senior member of the committee (excluding the committee chairperson) will take the place of the Ethics Committee Chairperson for all duties relating to that particular investigation.

(Parts 4 and 5 will not into effect until the by-laws are changed to support them [if they are changed]).

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: Claxx77, poemhunter, LieutenantDerp99, dygyee
Nay: None

November 14, 2022

With deep regret, I motion to remove LieutenantDerp99 from the RBA Council, as he has not voted on motions, responded to DMs, or been active in the RBA Discord for 10 days. Despite multiple attempts to reach him through his acquaintances, we have been unable to contact him. Although I tend to be very lenient in regards to IRL circumstances, the RBA simply cannot continue in a state with a missing council member.

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: poemhunter, dygyee
Nay: Claxx77

Claxx77 changed his vote from Aye to Nay after LieutenantDerp99 reappeared and explained he was in the hospital. This is also a Complex Motion, and thus would need unanimous support to pass.

November 15, 2022

I motion to amend the Legal Education Committee policies to replace the following:
"Legal Instructors may be hired by the Legal Edu. Chair to teach specific classes. Similarly, Legal Instructors may be removed by the Lega Edu. Chair. Instructors must follow the rules set out in the "Class Policies" section."

With the following:
"Legal Instructors may be nominated by anyone on the Legal Education Committee to teach specific class(es). Legal Instructors may be removed by a simple majority vote of the Legal Education Committee. Legal Instructors must follow the rules set out in the "Class Policies" section. (Any instructor already hired is "grandfathered" in)."

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: poemhunter, dygyee, Claxx77, LieutenantDerp99

November 16, 2022

I propose a complex motion to amend the RBA By-Laws to be this PDF:

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: None
Nay: dygyee, Claxx77

Attachments

• New_RBA_By-Laws.pdf
    534 KB · Views: 72
November 17, 2022

I motion to replace the old RBA logo with the new RBA logo in the by-laws. This is technically a complex motion and requires unanimous support.

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: dygyee, Claxx77, poemhunter, LieutenantDerp99

November 18, 2022

I motion to amend the by-laws by changing Article I, Section 1 from this:
"The organization's official name will be referred to as "Redmont Bar Association" buy may also be referred to as "DemocracyCraft Bar Association", "The Board", "Legal Board" and simply "The Bar Association".

To this:
"The organization's official name will be "The Redmont Bar Association" but may also be reffered to as "The DemocracyCraft Bar Association," "The Board," "The Legal Board," "The Bar Association," and/or "The RBA."

This establishes RBA as an officially acceptable name for the organization the can be used in motions and future by-law amendments.

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: dygyee, Claxx77, poemhunter, LieutenantDerp99

November 19, 2022

I motion to amend the by-laws by changing Article I, Section 2 from this:
"The Redmont Bar Association is to regulate and organize the entire legal profession. This includes the regulation of law firms, legal information, public defenders, disciplinary action against all members for a breach of one's duty to the legal guidelines, and any other scope specified in the Legal Board Act."

To this:
"The Redmont Bar Association is to regulate and organize the entire legal profession. This includes the regulation of law firms, legal information, public defenders, legal education, disciplinary action against all members for a breach of one's duty to the legal guidelines, and any other scope specified in the Modern Legal Board Act, or as put forth in the by-laws."

This re-establishes the authority of the RBA By-Laws under the Modern Legal Board Act, as opposed to the no-longer-relevant Legal Board Act. It also codifies the RBA's role in Legal Education and strengthens the fact that the RBA By-0Laws can add more responsibilities to the RBA in the future.

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: Claxx77, poemhunter, LieutenantDerp99, dygyee

November 29, 2022

I motion to remove the debate (Council) channel and keep the debate (RBA Members) channel

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: Mask3D_WOLF, Jakovus, The_Donuticus

November 29, 2022

I motion that #education-dec-liaison be changed to #education-doe-liaison with the official liaison between the Legal Education Committee Chairperson and the Department of Education.

- Councilperson Mask3D_WOLF

Aye: Mask3D_WOLF, Jakovus, The_Donuticus

November 29, 2022

I motion to open a Committee to investigate the future of the RBA which will make a recommendation to the House of Representatives on legally codified reform. Committee to be called 'The RBA Future Committee'.

- Councilperson The_Donuticus

Aye: The_Donuticus
Nay: Mask3D_WOLF, Jakovus, dygyee

November 30, 2022

I motion to amend the RBA by-laws, by adding a new section, Section V, under Article II, as follows:

"-Section V Eligibility

In order to run for RBA Council or RBA Chair, a prospective candidate must have participated as the primary counsel for a party or parties in two lawsuits that have been Adjourned (not dismissed) or dismissed as a result of their own Motion to Dismiss as Defendant or Defendant's counsel, or pass a mock trial proving basic legal ability adjudicated by the RBA Council and Chair."

- Chairperson Dartanman

Aye: The_Donuticus, Mask3D_WOLF, Jakovus, dygyee

November 30, 2022

I move to amend the RBA By-Laws by altering Section IV, Article II, second paragraph from reading:
"If a motion is up for voting each councilperson may vote once. The vote may either be Aye, Nay or Abstain. The chairperson also may cast a tie-breaking vote."

to reading:
"If a motion is up for voting each councilperson may vote once. The vote may either be Aye, Nay or Abstain. At the request of any one councilperson individual votes can remain undisclosed. The chairperson also may cast a tie-breaking vote."

- Jakovus

Aye: The_Donuticus, Mask3D_WOLF, Jakovus
Nay: dygyee

A
Motion
To

Create A Temporary Committee To Help Update The Legal Exams

The lawyers of the Redmont Bar Association, through their elected Council and the force of law ordained to that Council by the Modern Legal Board Act, do hereby formally enact the following Motion:

I move to create a new committee, the Legal Exam Committee, that will work in tandem with the Department of Education to update the Legal Exams and help ensure the quality of incoming lawyers. This committee will be dissolved once all three Legal Exams have been updated, or the Department of Education refuses to update them.

DUE TO THE ABSENCE OF POLLS AT THIS TIME, PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR VOTE: "Aye," "Nay," or "Abstain."

I rescind this motion.

A
Motion
To

Create A Temporary Committee To Help Improve The Process To Become A Lawyer

The lawyers of the Redmont Bar Association, through their elected Council and the force of law ordained to that Council by the Modern Legal Board Act, do hereby formally enact the following Motion:

I move to create a new committee, the Legal Exam Committee, that will work in tandem with the Department of Education to improve the process one must go through to become a lawyer. This may involve updating the Legal Exams, creating an alternate way to become a lawyer, and/or something else.

DUE TO THE ABSENCE OF POLLS AT THIS TIME, PLEASE 'LIKE' WITH "AYE," "NAY," or "ABS"

A
Motion
To

Change the method of voting to make it easier for the RBA council.

I motion to have all votes for future motions take place in the RBA discord channel as they have previously, and once they have passed or failed, the chairperson puts the motion on the forums in its correct location and writes how many votes it passed/failed by.

Please react with Aye, Nay, or ABS for your vote.

A
Motion
To

Protect the RBA

I move for the RBA to publicly and clearly declare its discontent with the idea of the RBA being destroyed by the Even Moderner Legal Board Act and request that the Senate vote nay on the bill.

A
Motion
To

Clam Chowder

I move to have Clam Chowder for lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back